Out of the Blue... Into the Black

Old enemies rear their heads, new threats make themselves known, and an old hub of craziness is the center of it all.
Nick Ryder
Site Admin

Out of the Blue... Into the Black

Post by Nick Ryder »

Commander's Log:

It's been nearly fifteen years since I sat in this ready room. It still smells like my coffee. Despite being refit and remodeled numerous times over the past half decade during various post battle repairs, it still has the telltales that it was mine. The deck plates behind the desk have the same little bumps that kept my chair from rolling back too far if we were hit. The fold out couch in the wall still has the same wear pattern. Only thing that changed was me. No uniform, no ranks, just the mission. Save my son. Take out my counterpart.

The Tigris has served me for nearly three decades, I've lost her, reclaimed her, rammed her into other ships, taken her into more battles than I can count, and what's left of her still can do it all. Admirality board declared that she be retired, Sovereign class replacement parts were getting harder to come by and what we didn't have in storage had to be fabricated and short of a massive overhaul, it was more cost effective to make a new, more modern ship replace her. Something we could more easily maintain. But sitting a museum wasn't what she was designed for. If it was going to go out, it was going to go out in a blaze of glory or it was going to remain mine. I'm not a very possessive man, I gave up my position as President without much protest. I gave up my rank as an Admiral to be President without any real hesitation. I even gave my daughters and my sons free reign, as much as I wanted them close, I let them follow their own paths, even if they came back around. Yet there are only two things I will hold onto even with cold dead fingers. This starship, which I never should have given up in the first place, but it wasn't my call. And one other thing.

--
"Commander?" Daisy said as she tapped on the door with a padd. "I got the engineering reports, warp drive is within tolerances, cloak is holding, but the phase part... JR thinks we should only engage that if we really really have to."

"Thank you Yeoman." Nick said as he paused his log and cleared his throat. "Been a while since you've been on a starship huh?"

"How can you tell?" Hill replied with a raised eyebrow.

"Inertial damper bracelet." Nick pointed out. "Give 'em to all the rookies to space travel."

"Oh... yeah... guess I'm just not used to high warp. We punched it out of Impulse and I felt like I left my stomach back on Terra Alpha." Daisy said as she smiled weakly. "We'll get Jack back sir... for Kinsey's sanity we have to."

"Care about her a lot don't you?" Nick said as he poured himself a cup of coffee and took a sip. "You know, you could have been promoted a while ago, but you wanted to remain on her staff."

"I know sir, but she needs me and I enjoy being the sane one in the office at times." she chuckled lightly. "We'll get him back."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." Nick said with a raise of his coffee mug. "Send Talon and Kinsey in here, we're going to be nearing our first stop in about... three hours."

"I'll get them sir." Daisy saluted and headed out.

Nick chuckled and shook his head. He looked at his 'war monitor' and had what scans and maps they had from his rescue and what they had from the old records. There was a planet that was used as a way station by many of Dominus forces, yet he kept his real HQ hidden, rumor had it they moved the old Starbase Python to a section of space that would shift enough that only if you knew the pattern, you could find it, if you didn't know the pattern, you'd end up who knows where. Vella Cava station wasn't Jackson's old station after all, even though he had stolen modules from it, it was moved from it's usual position guarding the Slot that lead into the sector from 'normal' space.

For the first time in five years, he was firmly back in the Black as they used to call it. He just hoped that he'd get everyone back home intact.
Nicholas "Nick" Ryder-Huntington
Husband, Father, Inventor, Maker, Defender
Former President, Founder Alpha Quadrant Alliance

Rebecca Talon

Re: Out of the Blue... Into the Black

Post by Rebecca Talon »

"Ow damnit!" Rebecca shouted her voice echoing off the Jeffrey tube walls. She set her tool down and rubber her forehead with her hand.

"Ma'am, are you alright?" One of the engineering AI's asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said flatly. "Just bumped my head."

"Do I need to get medical?"

Rebecca laughed, and then laughed even harder at the expression, "It's a bump on the noggin not a phaser wound. But this is precisely why the access corridors on the Erebus allow you to stand up. I can't under stand why they insist of these cramped tubes. At least not for all of them. Some I get."

"Aye ma'am."

Rebecca picked up her tricorder and scanned the open panel. "Give junction beta-three a burst with the spanner to bypass it."

The AI kneeled forward and pressed the button on the spanner and a blue beam sliced into the computer board.

"Good," she said scanning it with her tricorder. "That should do the trick." She pressed the ancient Starfleet combadge, "Talon to Engineering."

"Go ahead Admiral," a female voice replied.

"How's the shield emitters looking?"

The was a pause and then the AI in Engineering replied, "Shields are operating and 120% efficiency, and torpedo guidance is on line."

Rebecca smiled and patted her helper on the shoulder, "Thank you. Talon out. Okay let's get this buttoned up, and our tools put away"

Kinsey Calhoun

Post by Kinsey Calhoun »

Kinsey stood in her quarters facing toward one of the massive windows with her eyes closed. It took her over an hour to calm her nerves enough to stand still and just as long to quiet her mind. Her thoughts focused on Jack calling to him through their bond and hoping by some miracle he heard her and she'd hear something anything. It was the silence that worried her the most. As powerful as she was becoming she should be able to sense something. What if they were already to late?

~Jack~ She whispered out into the cosmos again. ~Jack~.

The sound of the door chime made her jump. For the briefest of seconds she thought she felt something and then it was gone. Daisy was already in her quarters before Kinsey even said anything. Kinsey didn't have to she already knew why Daisy was there she'd left strict instructions not to be disturbed. They walked in companionable silence to Nick's office.

"You know I'm not use to be summoned by your." Kinsey said from the door. "I almost thought about making you wait."

Nick Ryder
Site Admin

Post by Nick Ryder »

"But you wouldn't. Because you love me like a father." Nick said with a smirk. "Annnnyway... we've got about three hours before we reach our first stop. Not exactly a 'cool' place to visit, wretched hive of scum and villainy makes it sound almost 'nice'." he pointed to the map. "You and Noonian are going to need to be your old selves. The smuggler and the bastard. Jack's alive, but I'm thinking the sector of space he's in is so screwed up that we may not be able to use any of our 'senses' to find him easily. The Jase and I have been trying to sense him too, all we got for it are headaches." he handed her a padd. "This concerns me more. Dimensional travel. We've already got unsubstantiated rumors of 'multiples of the same dude' working for Dominus. Clones are one thing but this seems different somehow. Usually clones don't seem too bright unless they have the host mind. So... we've got that to worry about as well."

Leaning against his desk he looked her in the eye. "Real talk Kins... are you up to being a bit more... old Kinsey? Or should I send Lyashev?"

Kinsey Calhoun

Post by Kinsey Calhoun »

"Do you want me to be Kinsey or K'n'zy?" Kinsey inquired meeting his gaze.

Nick Ryder
Site Admin

Post by Nick Ryder »

"I want Kinsey, but the Kinsey that I met when you first started dating Jack. The slightly off kilter badass that didn't hesitate to shove someone's nose into their brain." Nick said. "K'n'zy was an unstable, mentally damaged nympho. That probably got that way from way too much shock therapy from Dominus. I need smart, but I need take no shit, because that's what the people that frequent that planet we're heading to only listen to. Anything less is weakness and they won't tell us what we need to know."

Kinsey Calhoun

Post by Kinsey Calhoun »

"They'll tell me whether they want to or not." Kinsey said coldly as she looked away from him. "We...I should never have let him do this."

Nick Ryder
Site Admin

Post by Nick Ryder »

"Jack's been taking after you a bit too much of late. Not that it's a bad thing." Nick said and smiled slightly. "I think he wanted to get inside Dominus operation, Thessia... changed him. He was going through a lot of my old Pythus Sector files. He was going into old S31 files on the Brethren. He saw first hand what your planet went through. And he saw what you'd be if they struck again." he reached into his pocket and pulled out a scrap of Brethren armor that had gotten stuck on his slacks when they were escaping. "This armor is not easy to crack or bend, yet you did it. You know I love you, you're a daughter."

Kinsey Calhoun

Post by Kinsey Calhoun »

Kinsey eyes darkened with rage at the sight of the armor scrap. She lifted it from Nick's hand with her mind and mashed it into a ball.

"And I'd do it again." Kinsey said bitterly as she dropped it back into his hand. "And if Dominus hurts Jack I wont stop until I ripped every single one of his follows a part and then I'll rip him a part slowly."

Nick Ryder
Site Admin

Post by Nick Ryder »

"Right answer." Nick said with an uncharacteristic coldness to his voice. "I should have turned into a fucking fireball and turned Dominus into a greasy smear. We're not holding back. I'm not going to the dark side, but we're not going to stick so slavishly to the light." he looked her in the eyes. "We're fighters, we can be the 'cool' ones, but we both have a fire in us that burns hotter than any sun. It's what attracted Jack to you, what attracted Alice to me. Becca is a Jase and we'll need that edge, but if we get the chance, you and I are going to turn Dominus little house of cards into so much ash."