The Gathering (Carried over from old forum.)

Old enemies rear their heads, new threats make themselves known, and an old hub of craziness is the center of it all.
Ethan Talon

Re: The Gathering (Carried over from old forum.)

Post by Ethan Talon »

"Oh, well it's about using your strength correctly," he agreed. "Besides a bale of hay ain't a caber, but you buck an entire field it might as well be, and I've been doing that since I was fourteen."

Ethan stared as he saw someone who looked like Andre the Giant bend down, pick up a caber. Without ceremony he took several quick steps, and with a grunt of exertion the pole flipped into the air. One end stuck into the turf the pole tilted over landing in the perfect 12 o'clock position.
Major General Ethan Talon
CO III Corps of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"Holy crap." Trinity said as she watched the giant of a man. "They uhm... really grow them big don't they?" she started to feel incredibly tiny now. "Just... remember to stretch and breathe"

Trinity whispered to Jenny. "I really hope this doesn't backfire on all of us..."
Colonel Trinity Morris-Talon
XO Marine 82nd Voluntary Infantry Division

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

"Oh aye," she said with a shrug. "Ye kin never tell."

After several more contestants it was Ethan's turn. Chalking his hands he lifted the heavy caber with realative ease, but lacking experience of controlling the unwieldy length to wood it nearly toppled out of his hands to the delight of the spectators.

Regaining control through sheer strength Ethan started his run. At the end of his run he lifted upwards with all his might. A growl of exertion escaped through his teeth.

The caber sailed into the air. The top rotated down and planted into the earth. The pole hesitated at the zenith of its arc, for a fraction of a moment as the kinetic energy dissipated. Then instead of going over it fell backwards and landed at Ethan's feet.

The crowd erupted in laughter and jeers. "My wee sister could throw a better caber lad!" Someone shouted.

"Aye she could," Jenny said, "I ken your sister Archie Chism, and she's no a woman ta' trifle with. She used to take you ta task when you were a wee lad."

That seemed to break the apprehension, and the spectators laughed, and gave Ethan general statements of encouragement. He had done, unsuccessfully, what most of them were too scared to try themselves.

He glanced at Trinity and shrugged, as whiskey was shoved into his hands, and general good natured ribbing was exchanged between him and various Scots.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

Trinity whispered to Aimee. "And just like that, he's one of them."

Making her way over to him she put her arm behind his back and smiled. "I think we just found something we can challenge the Vice President to... "

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

"No, not one of them, but they accept him," she whispered back.

"You know, I don't make a habit of beating my superiors," Ethan said.

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"I'm just picturing the string of profanities when he sees what he has to heft..." Trinity said with a laugh. "He would owe soooo much to the swear barrel in his office. I'm sure Isabella would pay to see him and President Jon in a kilt. We may have to pick up a couple for them. Should have invited him and T'Kir, she'd get a kick out of all this. She loves pretty much everything Scottish."

Malcolm Foster

Post by Malcolm Foster »

"And who's t'say no one didn't?" T'Kir said as she walked up behind them and gave Trinity a hug. "Malcolm got the invite weeks ago, nearly forgot about it, had to practically drag him by his bollocks here."

"Ye're not gettin' me to lift a bloody caber no matter how much y'pay me." Malcolm said with a smirk and shook his head. "General Talon, I feel like a right arse for not thankin' ye in person for takin' the position Mattis offered to ye. "And congratulations as well on yuir impendin' nuptials."

"Took y'two long enough." T'Kir said with a wink. "I thought you were already married when you came over. My mum married my father when she was 16, lied to the council that they were older. Tal'shiar knew, drafted them right way." she glanced down at Ethan's legs. "Now if Ethan can wear a kilt... you should have worn your tartan Malcolm..."

"I already told ye, it's motheaten all tae hell and..." Malcolm groaned. "You are never going to let me live it down are ye?" he sighed heavily as he looked at the petite red haired Romulan. "Fine... I'll find somethin'..." he shook his head. "Vice President and my Speaker of the House over rules me."

"Well she and Noella did switch jobs, guess she missed the State department and T'Kir's done wonders for the 1st District." Trinity said with a smile. "Besides... really kind of the only way you two could... y'know..."

"Aye lass, aye..." Malcolm pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket. "Not sure how the Council would be with us doing more than dating..." he glanced around. "Of course, we could make it more just don't tell anyone... not sure if she can really wait until my term is up and I like what Jon and I have set up... yuir a Ryder, you know how this is."

"All too well. I say do what you want, damn what anyone else thinks. You've been dating for at least three years now... and you've already lived longer than your counterpart in my timeline." Trinity whispered. "You broke your neck when you fell off a balcony at the Compound. Was dark after an EMP attack and you didn't see the broken railing and took a header off the second story."

"Such a horrid way to die... not even in a fight." Malcolm scoffed.

"Well, you were handing T'Kir a sniper rifle... you're not quite as nimble as she is." Trinity reminded him. "You've gotten better since Bella and Clint got you into those hand to hand combat training sessions." she said and gave him a hug. "It's funny, Ethan just said that he didn't want to 'beat' you in a caber toss... I guess I don't really 'see' you as a superior, but a friend. I appreciate all the help you gave me when I was setting up Yeoman Corps and getting our Sheriff department going."

"I'm good at getting the word out for anything. When you've been in an administrative role for most of yuir life... ye tend to pick up tricks. Just don't forget 'em, ye'll be as successful as yuir mum. And never forget all the worker bees in cubicles making your life easier... Colonel." Malcom said with a wink of his eye. "They sign yuir paychecks." he raised a finger. "Speakin' of paychecks..." he nudged Ethan. "Thought I'd see y'here, back pay. I noticed they stiffed ya for yuir time on Earth. Considerin' that your POW stint there did lead to us gettin' quite a lot of intel out of Kalia and a friendship with the new Emperor... I'm considering it a special operation and as such... this is what the Ryder administration didn't pay you. If I were you, I'd use it to make yuir life a bit easier, bonuses for those units you need to get. They'll work harder for you if they know it came out of your pocket. Not the government's coffers. Because you thought they deserved it."
Malcolm Foster
Vice President, Terra Alpha

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

"Of course," Ethan said. To himself he didn't figure leadership was dependent on him paying for anything.
With that in mind he really didn't want the money to begin with, so he might as well give it to the division. He didn't feel he did anything to deserve it, nor did he need it. "I'll put it to good use sir."

A temporary stage had been constructed on the south side of the clearing with all of the tents in a concentric circle in front of it.

Four feminine figures clad in kilt and plaid were up on stage. A band, with the unusual addition of a bagpipe. Ethan's jaw dropped when he realized that the guitar player was his sister.

"What in the hell is Aimee doing up there? I didn't know she had a musical bone in her body." Ethan glanced around for help, but everyone was staring at the stage.

Aimee started playing an acoustic riff on the electric guitar that Ethan recognized, but he couldn't place the name. One by one the other players joined in starting with the drums. With the squeal of the bagpipes Aimee pressed a switch on the floor and he guitar distorted into a typical metal sound.
Say your prayers, little one
Don't forget, my son
To include everyone

I tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
Till the Sandman he comes

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight

Exit light
Enter night
Take my hand
We're off to Never—, Neverland
"Holy shit," Ethan said under his breath.

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

Trinity was grinning as she filmed Aimee performing on stage and cocked her head to Ethan. "Oh yeah she's totally in Aunt Liv's band... girl's got skills. And yes dear they are performing at our reception."

T'Kir

Post by T'Kir »

"That's yuir sister?" T'Kir said in shock and laughed. "That's Aimee? I think I've got a new favorite band..." she raised her hand and head banged to the music much to the eyebrow raising of Malcolm.

"Wait until she finds out I used to have a punk rock band back in the day..." Malcolm said with a smug expression. "She was never there when I performed with Nicholas. Thinks it was just a 'Malcolm Hologram'."
T'Kir d'Zarndeln T'Radiak-Foster
Congresswoman District 1
Terra Alpha Speaker of the House