The Gathering (Carried over from old forum.)

Old enemies rear their heads, new threats make themselves known, and an old hub of craziness is the center of it all.
Ethan Talon

Re: The Gathering (Carried over from old forum.)

Post by Ethan Talon »

He sighed, "You won't be happy until I go out there and hurt myself won't you?"
Major General Ethan Talon
CO III Corps of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"I don't want you to hurt yourself... but it might give them some confidence to see 'General Talon' isn't just a desk jockey." Trinity said and put her arm behind his back. "We didn't just come here for a free meal and a show. Although we may need to drink... quite a bit. So eat up dear... and take one of the detox pills."
Colonel Trinity Morris-Talon
XO Marine 82nd Voluntary Infantry Division

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

Ethan pushed his finished plate aside, "Why do I need to prove anything?" He pointed a finger at a dark haired man laughing with a petite blonde woman. "See him? That's James Cameron. I had no idea he was Scots. He has a typical Midwesterners accent. He was one of my platoon lieutenants. The woman he's talking with, that's Jenny Murray. She was Alpha Company CO in my regiment."

He gave her a tired smile and stood up. Walking over to the two former officers he spoke to them. They greeted him warmly, and nodded to whatever he was saying. Finally Cameron nodded, and he lead Ethan away.

The two returned fifteen minutes later with Ethan looking a bit sheepish wearing a kilt. He self-consciously smoothed down the pleats feeling more exposed than he was used to.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

Trinity grinned as she saw Ethan in a kilt and stood up as she looked at him. "I have to admit babe... you have better legs than you think you do. Look at him." she gestured to another Scot in a kilt with blinding white legs. "You can tell who practically lives in jeans and slacks... and I'll be right back." she went to one of the clothing sellers and came back in a similar skirt to Aimee's, her shorter A line skirt and tights bundled under her arm. "I have no idea why I wore tights to this anyway... now we look like we belong."

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

He gave her an appreciative look, but before he could say anything James, and Jenny appeared. "We got you entered," James said.

Ethan nodded, "Thanks. Captain, Lieutenant, this is Colonel Trinity Morris. My fiance."

"Why aren't you a bonnie wee lass," Jenny said. "Janet Ellen Mackenzie Murray."

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"Pleasure to meet you." Trinity said and raised an eyebrow. "Entered into what?" she glanced at Ethan and James.

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

Lt. Cameron gave her a dubious look, "For the caber toss of course."

"Yeah well," Ethan gave a dismissive gesture. "Brought to you by popular demand."

"You'll be fine Mac Dubh," Jenny encouraged. She winked at Trinity, "Mac Dubh means 'son of the black one'. Wee Mr. Talon has black hair, and a fearsome reputation."

"Not that fearsome Captain," Ethan defended.

Jenny looked abashed, "Aye well, he had black hair to be sure."

Ethan laughed. He realized how much he missed the camaraderie he had while in the Corps. These were good people, and his old regiment as diverse as the Alliance. "Indeed."

"Dinae forget what we taught ya' Mac Dubh, an you'll do well."

"I would've like to practice."

Cameron laughed, "No better teacher than doing for real."

"Ya' kent all we ken," Jenny added.

"Which is damned little," Ethan grumbled. "None of you have actually done it."

Cameron slapped Ethan on the shoulder, "Better you than us eh General?"

Ethan shot all three of them glances that indicated how he felt about the whole situation, and it wasn't exactly polite.

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"Just don't strain yourself too much Ethan..." Trinity said with a slight smile. "Besides how many times in your life can you say you tossed a caber?" she gave Jenny a wink. "Although I think what's good for the goose is good for the gander... Cameron IS participating hmm?"

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

Cameron smiled. It was the smile of a man who usually got his way with women and he knew it. "No ma'am. You didn't tell me you wanted me to compete too." He hesitated, "Besides I lack the General's upper body strength."

That was true. The former platoon leader was of a slight build. He couldn't have weighed more than 150 pounds. He didn't have that Highlander sized and brute strength. But, what he had in diminutive size he more than made up for in smarts. Intelligence lurked behind his hazel eyes, and there was an economy of motion and cat like grace to his movements.

"It's fine. I reckon he doesn't have much to prove to a bunch of drunken Scots," Ethan said. "And let's be honest here, even I'm tiny compared to theses other men. They all look like The Mountain from Game of Thrones."

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"Mom used to have such a thing for big hulking dudes... from what Aunt Liv told me, first man she slept with was a Spec Ops guy who's codename was 'Meat'." Trinity giggled lightly. "And personally I think you're just the right size Ethan... not the size that matters, it's how you use your strength. Remember those big ass Marines that even I could take down, all muscle, no strength."