Progenies: Chapter 2

Stories of our characters in alternate realities or of alternate versions of our characters finding their way to our reality. Stories can unhappen or change canon here at a drop of a hat so be prepared for a bit of a mind trip!
Astrid Vogler

Progenies: Chapter 2

Post by Astrid Vogler »

The cockpit of the small shuttle was bathed in black as it had been powered down to conserve power. A young woman worked the controls trying to coax a little more out of the tiny vessel.

Her dark bown hair was pulled into a loose braid, that left strands and shorter hairs poking out everywhere. Her clothes had the look of someone who had slept in them and worn them long past their expiration date.

She could smell herself, and a bath was needed. Astrid Vogler rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and felt the grit. "Just a bit further," said to herself as a planet loomed into her window.

She rerouted power to the communication's system, and spoke, "Shuttle Tiberium to Terra Alpha Control. Requesting permission and vectors to land in the capital."

"Permission granted shuttle Tiberium," a monotone female voice replied on the other end. "Proceed 181 mark 3, one quarter impulse. Switch ILS frequency 108.11 megahertz. You are cleared to land on docking pad 48."

"Understood. Tiberium out."

She adjusted the controls, transferred life support to structural integrity and decended into the atmosphere. The autopilot following the Instrument Landing System instructions guided the shuttle down and set it on the pad with computerized precision.

Astrid breathed a sigh of relief, and hastily completed her post flight checks and powered down this shuttle. She grabbed up her rucksack and pulled it over her shoulders and stepped out of the airlock and into the bright summer daym. The space port was cleaner than most she was used to. The people here on Terra Alpha obviously had a better standard of living than a lot of the Quadrant had. She could see towering skyscrapers gleaming in the sunlight. Unlike a lot of places Terra Alphans preferred to build skyward as opposed outward in their cities. As such for a planet with 50 billion people living on it the vast majority of the planet was still open space, and it made their capital city all the more impressive.

A customs officer in a blue uniform was already waiting for her as she stepped off the shuttle. "Good morning miss. Looks like you had one hell of a journey."

"You could say that Astrid replied."

"Ident please."

She dug into her pocket and withdrew an old, and expired Imperium indetifiation card. The custums officer looked at the ID, and then back at her, and back at the ID.

"Ms. Vogler is it?" He inquired.

"That's me," she replied nervously. "I was thirteen when that picture was taken. Hasn't been much of a government to update it since on Earth."

The customs officer chuckled, "We get these from time to time. Most folk can't even get off the planet. By the looks of things I'm amazed you got that shuttle flying. I'll need a quick blood sample to verify your identity."

She nodded and extended her arm, which he pressed q hypospray against it and then injected it into his scanning device which he inserted the identification card.

The device beeped and the officer smiled, "DNA matches the DNA profile on your card. Now, there is the matter of a gate fee."

Astrid shrugged, "How about the shuttle. It isn't going anywhere as it is, and I can't afford to fix it."

The customs officer nodded, "You have a bill of sale?"

"Not exactly. I found it."

He laughed, "That I do believe. No one would steal a bucket of rust. Okay, I tell you what I'll send the serial codes over to the Mount and if they come back clean you have a deal."

Astril grinned, "Either way, it's out of my hands."

He laughed at that, and handed back her ID, "Welcome to Terra Alpha Ms. Vogler."

Astrid Vogler

Re: Progenies: Chapter 2

Post by Astrid Vogler »

Astrid entered the Spaceport, and found the assay office at the end of a corridor, and entered the empty shop. It was poorly lit, and only sparsely cleaned. Dust caked all of the horizontal surfaces.

The clerk looked up from an electronic tablet, and smiled at her. She had to smile at the fact the the little round man behind the counter wore a green semi-transparent visor, and looked every bit the stereotype she expected to see in an establishment such as this.

"Good afternoon madam," he said genially. "What can I do for you?"

"I have some coins I need to exchange. "

"Of course. Latinum?"

Astrid grimaced, "Not exactly. They are post-Imperium Earth coins."

It was the man's turn to grimace,"I'm afraid there isn't much demand for that sort of currency anymore, but let's see what you have."

Astrid shrugged off her rucksack and and dug inside to extract a heavy sack of coins which she dumped out onto the counter.

They were made of silver or gold, of varying sizes and thicknesses. All were rough struck with minting errors on most of them.

They all had the same face of a human male surrounded by Christian iconography on the obverse, and the reverse had the denominations, from a $1 to $500, encircled by the words, "Empire of Earth and the Holy Spirit".

"Well, would you look at that. They're gold and silver at least." He heafted one of the $500 gold coins, "Jewelry quality I'd say. Gold and silver isn't worth a lot around here."

"It's not worth a lot anywhere, " Astrid replied. "But, it still has a value. They are still the best metals for jewelry, watches, and even some circuits."

The clerk nodded approvingly, "$300 for the lot."

"I may be broke mister," she started, "but I'm not a fool. There's one and a half kilo there. Based on the current market rate here at the capital that is valued at one-thousdand-four-hundred and fifty-two dollars, and twenty-six cents."

"You know your stuff."

"I know enough to do my research before entering a negotiation."

The clerk nodded, "I still have to make a profit. $900. "

Astrid thought for a moment and nodded, "Okay you have a deal."

"Where did you get all of these coins?" He aksed.

"I stole them," she said bluntly. "Though, the way I figure it's just a partial payment for four years of slave labor. Don't worry no one is going to come looking for it." What she didn't say was that she killed the owner with a kitchen knife before fleeing here.

The clerk loaded a credit chip card while Astrid bagged the coin up. The two shook hands and Astrid was out on the street.

She knew that $900 wouldn't last very long. She would need a job very soon. Which she planned to start working tonight. For now, she intended to secure shelter for the night.

She headed down the street until she came to a hotel. The old fashioned sign in neon tubes hung on the outside read, "Capital Hotel & Banquet Hall."

The whole city had that old world feel. It was almost like the inhabitants went out of their way to make it feel like home. Like Earth. Or at least the Earth she remembered as a little kid of three or four.

The renting of a room for the night took a sizable portion of her purse, but she paid the lady at the front desk.

"Have a nice stay Ms. Vogler," she said with a fake smile.

"Thank you. Uh... do you know of anyone hiring around here?"

"What do you do?"

"Oh, this and that. Done a little bit of soldering. A lot of servent work too," she added.

"I think Leo's is hiring," she said. Just across the street. "

"Thank you. I'll check it out."

Tasha Ryder

Post by Tasha Ryder »

Across the street an attractive young blonde woman was yelling at a couple of men and a woman who were apparently now 'former' staff.

"I can't BELIEVE you guys would steal from us? I mean seriously? We pay more than pretty much anyone for what we had you do... just... just get the fuck out of here. You're lucky I was the one that caught you and not my big brother or his wife." Tasha glared at them. "And I am NOT giving you three a good reference."

"Whatever... rich uppity bitch." one of the men said with a snarl.

"ExCUSE me?" Tasha clenched her fists and gave him a death stare. "I may be a Ryder, but I work for a living and you stole from us! You took money from the till for the past three weeks... you..." she pointed to the woman. "Have been giving free bottles to your friend." and then pointed to the other man. "And YOU... you took Gina's tips AND you screwed her in the staff lounge. I got it all on video. You're lucky I don't have the lot of you arrested but I'm in a... generous mood today. Now get out of here and don't come back or I will have you arrested on sight." she pointed to the cops that liked to hang out in the park.

"More boobs than brains..." the woman said with a snicker as she left the patio with the other two.

"UGH!" Tasha slammed the gate and sat down at one of the chairs and sighed heavily. "Good help is so damn hard to find dad..." she looked up at the sky. "That's three more... just this week... the hell is going on?"
Tasha Ryder
Manager, Leo's Blues and Rock Club
"Among other things..."

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

After a long hot bath and a change into her best set of clothes Astrid walked across the street and entered Leo's.

On the outside the establishment looked like any other bar and blues club come restuarant. Dark, intimate lighting, and a live band in the back playing to a group of dancers.

Astrid approached the bartender, and comely blond woman a few years her senior. She had a dainty upturned nose and and Icelandic blue eyes. The long single braid of platinum blonde ran between her shoulders.

"I was told you might be hiring?"

The blode gave her a once over. "Maybe. Have you ever tended bar before?'

Astrid shook her head, "No, but I have served tables before. Sort of anyway. I was a slave on Earth."

"Hey Charlie can you take over?" The bartender said over her shoulder.

A man at the end of the bar just waved his right hand. "Come let's have a seat," the blonde said.

Astrid was lead over to a booth along the far war, and they sat down opposite if each other, "I'm Kim Talon."

"Astrid Vogler. You're not human are you, but you have a human name?"

"I'm Xenexian. I was adopted by a TA officer when I was small, and raised here on Terra Alpha. I hear it's bad there now. Roving gangs and warlords. On Earth that is."

"Most of the gangs have been eliminated, and the warlords have been executed."

"Sounds like stability is coming to Earth," Kim said.

"Stable yes, but not for the better. The guy that has risen to the top is a real bastard. He rewrote the bible and is enforcing a convert or die policy. Unless of course if you have some use to the Prophet, and his cronies they they might make you a slave. If you are a good slave you live. If you are a bad slave you die in the most painful way. My girlfriend... and I guese by extension I learned that lesson the hard way too."

The murmer of the patrons changed, and they both looked towards the bar. An eclectic looking group stood together ordering drinks.

Two of them were tall elf looking people that she gathered were Narlins. That species was said to be common on this side of the galaxy. The other four were human more or less, and they had the look of being related despite one of the women sporting Klingon ridges.

One of the men, stood over six foot. He had close cropped hair that had a hint of red in his brown. His arms bulged under his shirt and he moved with ease a grace. He was a dangerous man. They all were dangerous based on how they moved and held themselves.

"Who are they?"

Kim shrugged, "Family more or less. Well, not the Narlins. That's the Empress Lilith and her brother Prince Simon."

"More human names on aliens?"

Kim shrugged, "When they were rescued they were rescued by two human women. The twins mom by the way, and a family friend."

"You mean tall dark and handsome, and the one without the Klingon ridges?"

"Those are the two, and they are the least likely twins I have ever met. Don't get me wrong they depend on each other to a degree, but they both have an independent streak a mile long."

Astrid nodded taking it all in. "Do I have the job?"

Kim smiled, "You are blunt. I like it. Why don't you start tomorrow. You have a place to stay?"

"Yeah, I'm shacked up across the street."

"Good. While you are here grab something to eat. On me. You look like you could use it."

"Thanks!" Astrid said with a grin. "I appreciate it."

"In the meantime, I want you to meet my boss. Just sit tight, and I'll send her over," Kim said, and stood up from the tabe and disappeared into the back.

Tasha Ryder

Post by Tasha Ryder »

Tasha walked out from the back office, her black blouse was open to about mid chest and a lace corset was peeking out. "Hi, I'm Tasha Ryder." she extend her hand. "So... I take it Kim just offered you a job on the spot huh?" she crossed her arms and looked her over. "Look like you came from Earth. Sad what's happened there since the last war. My older brother Nick was trying to stop Dominus but the damage was already done before anyone could really react. Did manage to save the planet from being shattered into a million pieces though. Not that it seems like much of a win now that things have gotten so bad there." she sighed."Anyway you made it to the Promised Land."

Tasha pulled out a badge from her pocket and a card. "Your temporary name badge and employee card, I'll put in the details in a bit. I have only a few real rules for my new hires. One. You don't steal. Two. You don't fucking steal. Three. Don't have sex with the patrons in exchange for their tab. Four. If you need something just ask. We're generous to a fault, but don't just take it. Seriously, if you need a vehicle, we've got vehicles. If you need a place to say, we've got places all over the planet. If you need money, just ask. When my brother founded this place, he wanted to give back and give people a place to put in an honest day's work and express their creativity. If you got any musical or artistic talent, we got your back." she put a couple more cards on the table. "The red one is my personal comm frequency and direct line, put it on any comm terminal or communicator, it'll get me right away. The other is our business card, it self replicates on pretty much anything so y'know... spread the word." she gave Astrid a raised eyebrow. "So tell me about yourself... clearly you impressed Kim and I trust her. I do hope you have something else to wear besides that... if not... we can indulge in a little retail therapy while you tell me your tale."
Tasha Ryder
"Among other things..."

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

"Not much to tell. Pretty much the same story. My mom was from the Rocky Mountains, and my dad was some sort of English nobleman. Don't ask me how they met. Either way he was one of the first to be killed in Dominus' attack.

"When I was fifteen I joined General Chadwick's raiders until we were defeated by the Profit's men. In which case both myself and my girlfriend refused to convert to the Profit's Church, and Jackie.... well she didn't make it. I learned real fast how to be useful, keep my mouth shut, and to keep my fingers off of things."

Tasha Ryder

Post by Tasha Ryder »

"Well that's... good." Tasha said and chuckled lightly. "Girlfriend huh? Surprised they even allowed that from what I heard." she shook her head. "We're cool with it if you're wondering. My niece Olivia's been in a committed relationship with her brother's widow for over twenty five years... still won't make it 'legal'. Course, her ex husband had a kid with her old lover Jena and they had a couple of kids. If you see a very pale green, very tall girl that literally hits on anyone... that's Serena. Her brother actually joined the Jase'dasis as a monk, haven't seen him in almost five years now. I think he decided to swear off women when the last girl he dated... she dated too." she pointed out the 'Brat Pack' "I call them the Brat Pack, we're all about the same age, but they linked up super fast. The little bit older Asian girl is Olivia's daughter Lana, the bald one is Vincent, they're actually twins, but the girl was like kidnapped a couple decades ago and artificially aged. Course, she doesn't look at all like her age, Asian don't raisin." she pointed out a few others. "And those are the bouncers. Larry, Mo, and Hurley... I know... Three Stooges but Mo is Maurissa... former bodybuilder, more jacked than Hurley. Need someone tossed out, just call out 'Stooges!" and they come running. You already met Tina my head bartender. I'm the general-ish manager, but my big brother Nick actually owns the place. He doesn't come around as much as he used to since some Ajem blew the roof off about ten years ago and he moved his wife and kid out. Now... one more rule, staff isn't allowed past the second basement level. I know you're tempted since I mentioned it, but seriously... it's off limits."
Tasha Ryder
"Among other things..."

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

"It isn't," Astrid grimaced. "The ecclesiastical courts are... zealous in their duties, and beheadings are common. " She shrugged, "Luckily for me I don't have a problem dating men. As for the second basement level... I have no desire to go where I don't belong."

Tasha Ryder

Post by Tasha Ryder »

"Well don't feel like you HAVE to date someone you don't need really care about." Tasha said. "SO... now that we got all the business over with. Let's get you something better to wear and are you sure you have a place you want to be? There's an apartment building just down the street a little, most of the staff that don't already have a place of their own live there. Should keep you comfortable enough. Now... I really need to ask one question, is anyone... after you? I really don't want the club shot up or our patrons harassed because there's a hit squad on your tail. If so... well, we may need to change a few things."
Tasha Ryder
"Among other things..."

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

"Shot up? That seems unlikely." She was being truthful, just not exactly forthcoming. She honestly didn't know if she was being followed or not, but a public incident in a night club wasn't exactly how the Heaven's Knights operated, and phasers and guns were not their weapons of choice.