The Prophecy: Chapter 5

A mysterious stranger arrives on Terra Alpha, and brngs with her a new enemy.
Astrid Vogler

The Prophecy: Chapter 5

Post by Astrid Vogler »

Astrid's eyes slowly opened. Sunlight was streaming through the nearby window, and the steady rhythm of beeps from a heart monitor helped her fit the disjointed peices of the previous night's events.

There wasn't any pain, which was surprising, but she remained motionless as she stared up at the ceiling recounting the events the led her to this time and place.

After several minutes a nurse entered the room to check on her vitals. "Oh, you're awake," she said kindly, but with an obvious tone of shock. "It was touch and go there for a minute. The doctor didn't expect you to wake for a bit more. You're certainly tougher than you look."

"Well, becoming a human pin cushion gets the best of any of us," she said with a slight grin.

"Glad to see you have a positive outlook. That will help with your recovery. "And that you are young and in good health."

"I was," Astrid added wryly. "I expect people have questions for me? You might as well send them in. Get it over with."

Angel Ryder

Re: The Prophecy: Chapter 5

Post by Angel Ryder »

Angel was with the others, she had a tricorder in her hand as she waited. "It's a shame that something like this is what brings us all together these days." she said as she looked at Ethan and Trinity. "Too bad Nathan's still in deep space rebuilding our subspace communications network."

"I'm sure you'll be fine mom, he'll be home in a few weeks." Trinity said and raised an eyebrow. "Besides, not like you two are exactly trying to give me more brothers and sisters."

"Your grandfather was my age when he had Gale." Angel replied.

"With a 26 year old English girl." Trinity countered. "You're not in your twenties anymore."

"English... of course." Angel snapped her fingers. "Vogler... now I think I know why that name sounded familiar, there was someone with that name that married into the old Royal Family in England. I think... I only remember the wedding, we had versions of her dress within two days. Wonder if she's related."
Vice Admiral Angelica "Angel" Ryder-Morris
CO 414th Engineering & Planetary Defense Fleet
Flagship: TAS Kitea
"Perky is as perky does."

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

The nurse popped out of Astrid's room and approached the group, and smiled. "She's awake, and figured some of you would have questions."

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"And we do." Angel said as she took a deep breath. "Ready?" she glanced at everyone.

Angel walked in flanked by Becca and Trinity, with the rest behind her. When she reached out a bit with her senses, she didn't sense any ill will, just confusion and sadness.

"Hello Miss Vogler... my name is Admiral Angelica Ryder, this is Kim's mother... Rebecca Sandoval. We... just wanted to ask you a few questions about your attackers. Anything you can tell us would be helpful." she looked at Trinity. "This is First Lady Trinity Talon... and the President is the man with the face like worn leather behind her. He just looks gruff and mean."

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

"Holy shit it's true." She said in a barely audible tone. In a normal voice she continued looking at Trinity, "You are the mother."

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"First time I've been told that with that kind of face. Usually people are shocked that my kids are mine. Asian don't raisin." Trinity said with a wink to her mother, who hadn't really changed in the past 25 years, short of a few wrinkles by her eyes and a little bit of grey in her hair that she suspected was intentional. "I think you should explain..."
Colonel Trinity Morris-Talon
XO Marine 82nd Voluntary Infantry Division

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

Astrid scanned the room with her eyes, "You'll think I'm off my rocker, but it's about a dream. It doesn't matter if you believe me, the Prophet does."

Rebecca stared down at Astrid with her kind eyes, "Ms. Vogler, of all the places in the galaxy for you to find yourself, where honest to goodness space wizards walk about, a precognitive vision in a dream is not a surprise. Please continue."

Astrid raised an eyebrow, and shifted into a more comfortable position in the bed. "I suppose I should start from the beginning."

Astrid rushed the tray of food out of the kitchen of the Boettcher Mansion. Built in 1904 the mansion used to be the residence of the old Colorado governors, and now was the executive residence of the Earth Empire. Astrid had been lucky to have been pretty. Her lithe frame and delicate bones had always been an object of lust. Now, it kept her out of the mines, and likely extended her life considerably. For an atheist on Earth at this time Astrid Vogler was doing very well for herself.

She entered the dining room and set the tray down before a bald man in his late seventies. Liver spots marked his bare cranium. With deft ease Astrid flipped a wine glass upright in her left hand and filled it with the decanter that had been on the tray.

The Prophet looked up at her with is cold green eyes. "Sit my child," he commanded. Astrid did without hesitation. One always obeyed the Prophet without question. He casually reached out his right hand, and to Astrid's astonishment one of the wine glasses on the opposite of the long dining table lifted into the air and floated into the Prophet's hand.

He poured her a glass of wine, and slid it in front of Astrid, "Tell me child, how long have you been in my employ?"

Astrid swallowed, but didn't touch the glass. "Four years my lord."

"Four years!" He exclaimed with a wide smile showing off two perfect rows of white teeth. "You must have came to me shortly after I defeated the last of God's enemies. Tell me, did you fight to the bitter end? Were you in Boise?"

Astrid swallowed, "Yes my lord, I was."

He chuckled and took a long drink from his glass of wine, and waved off Astrid's attempts to refill it. Picking up a fork he cut off a bite size bit of meatloaf, and slid it into his mouth. Sitting back in his chair he carefully chewed and swallowed. "Then what troubles you my dear?"

"Nothing my lord. I am honored to be in your service."

"Oh cut the political bullshit," he said with a touch of steel in his voice. "For four years you have always looked at me like you would like to slit my throat open with a kitchen knife. I enjoy your spirit, and it is a constant reminder that I have enemies. One should never become too comfortable in my position. Today you don't, and to put a more precise point on it, you haven't for a while. Now, what troubles you my dear."

"I... well I am having these dreams. Every night. The same dream to be exact."

"Awww," he replied as he scooped up a mouthful of mashed potatoes, "And that disturbs you?"

Astrid stared down at the floor too scared to look at the Prophet, "Yes, my lord."

"Why are you a slave?" He asked

"I... because I am an atheist."

"Then dreams should mean nothing to you. Now, if you were to convert you would know the miracles of God's work. That dream may or may not be of comfort, but it would at least have meaning. Now, tell me your dream.”

Astrid’s head shot up fear in her eyes, “It’s nothing my lord. It’s simply the musings of a silly little girl.”

The Prophet stared at her, and in that instance he had the look of the grandfather she had always imagined she had. “Tell me your dream my dear.”

Astrid clasped the wine glass in both hands and drained its contents. Taking a deep breath she started. “I am on a planet. Terra Alpha I think. There are important people there, the leader of the Alliance and their family. The daughter, who carries the blood of ancient Earth kings is holding a sword. The Sword of the Lady or as you likely know it as
King Arthur’s sword Excalibur. They had just returned from an expedition to find it. The daughter will use that sword to rally the people of Earth to defeat you. It is by her hand that you meet your fate, and she will take your place as Queen.”

The Prophet smiled, but there was worry in his eyes, which sent chills down her back. “Well,” he started, “that is a lovely bit of fiction. You are here, not on Terra Alpha. So much for prophecy, now be gone my dear.”

Astrid stood, bowed and left the dining room.

Astrid smiled nervously, “Yeah, sounds totally crazy I know, but the way he looked at me, after I told him, and every day afterwards I knew he believed me. The only thing I can’t figure out is why he didn’t just kill me. Maybe I’m just not that important.”

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"Or he knows enough to know not to screw with prophecies." Trinity said as she sat on the edge of the bed. "Of course then again, time and the future and prophecy are not always set in stone. My husband and I are quite aware of that." she looked at Astrid and put her hand on her's. "The Iljuna is strong with you. Tell us about your family. Perhaps we have members of your family here."
Colonel Trinity Morris-Talon
XO Marine 82nd Voluntary Infantry Division

Astrid Vogler

Post by Astrid Vogler »

"The only family I ever had was my mother, and she was killed during the dying time."

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"What was her name?" Angel inquired. "Wouldn't happen to be any relation to uhm... Maria? Mary? I remember years ago we made copies of a dress for a royal wedding and I swear your last name entirely reminds me of that. Could be coincidence. I mean, there was once a truck rental company with my family's last name... entirely no relationship to us."