Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned: Chapter 7

A mysterious stranger arrives on Terra Alpha, and brngs with her a new enemy.
Michelle Ortiz

Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned: Chapter 7

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

President Michelle Ortiz's hair no longer had the luster of youth. Her black mane was streaked with silver. Her laugh lines had deepened, as did the crows feet. But, she was still an attractive woman, and had the energy of someone half her age. That was why when they approached her to come out of retirement to run for a third term she'd agreed. Today, she regretted that decision.

Her Vice President, William Riker stood next to her with Fleet Admiral Rom and Admirals De'shan, Shelby, and Kim standing across from her. A holographic map separated them. Various holographic spheres representing systems floated a few inches off the table. Starfleet deltas moved about the map and interacted with Klingon and and Christian crosses, which indicated fleet positions and movements. On the far side along the Cardassian border Cardassian ships fought off Klingon ships.

"Madam President," Nog started. "We need to pull the fleet back to Bajor, and help reinforce Cardassia."

"We need help from The Alliance," De'shan said. She was a petite Andorian woman, and her antenna flicked nervously.

"And of New Andor?" Michelle asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Evacuations are underway. If we don't preserve Bajor, noe of it will matter. We are instructing our people that if they cannot escape to convert to the false religion."

Michelle sighed heavily, "I don't like it a bit, but I see no other choice. Nor, is Terra Alpha likely to get involved. They have been intent on non-interventionist policy since the last war."

Nog frowned and nodded his head, " They took the brunt of the casualties in the War of the Scions. I don't blame them for being reluctant to involve themselves in another war."

Victor Pier

Re: Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned: Chapter 7

Post by Victor Pier »

V'Pier walked into the room, shifting from his 'Changeling' form to his usual 'silver fox' form when he deals with other 'solids.'

"Wouidn't you? The losses they took and the death the Scions and Dominus inflicted on their allies and member worlds, hell... all of us gave Earth a wide berth." V'Pier said with a heavy sigh. "I have news from the Gamma Quadrant, the Dominion will abide by the terms of the treaty I have enforced, the remaining Founders have agreed to not cross over, except if threatened. I told them if they are Klingons, they can do what they wish." V'Pier said as he handed off a PADD. "I did remind them that if they took this as an opportunity to expand, they only need remember the last Dominion War and what I helped Section 31 inflict upon them. I do not wish to do that again, but if I must I would." he nodded his head to Riker. "Like I told William, I would help you with what I could. But the Earth forces and Klingons are getting more and more bold and bold action will need to be taken sooner than later."
Director Victor Pier
Aka: V'Pier

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

Michelle stared at him incredulously, "Bold? That is the understatement of the year. We've lost three star systems, and my Admirals are telling me to pull back, and lose another five. The Cardassians so far have been holding out, but I don't know for how much longer. You tell your president, or whatever that when they are done with us they'll be coming for you."

Victor Pier

Post by Victor Pier »

"The Founders don't have an singular leader and I haven't been one of 'them' for centuries my dear President Ortiz." V'Pier said and crossed his arms. "Then perhaps it's time to bring both sides of this fractured family together again. Alliance and UFP should work together, before we entirely lose the Alpha and Beta Quadrants."
Director Victor Pier

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

"I can't argue with that," Michelle said with dismay. She , wasn't looking at V'Pier when she said it. She was carefully reading the casualty lists, name by name, line by line. "I'm glad the Dominion is keeping to their side of the wormhole, but President Talon is taking to the rooftops of Capitol City with a fiddle, and the city is on fire. This Empire of Earth nonsense is a deadly foe."

Victor Pier

Post by Victor Pier »

"I agree... but Talon isn't a fool. I think he needs the reason to handle this. Alliance still has the superior Navy and Marine Corps. They're still the technological hub of the entire tri-quadrant space. Not that we give two craps about the Delta Quadrant." V'Pier said with a smirk. "I'll reach out to them... maybe leak some of the intelligence we've got from Earth, rile them up. I know they don't want to fight another war, but... this is getting out of hand. And if Talon doesn't listen, then I talk to his mother and his mother in law. Nick Ryder won't help with another war, other than hardware and his intelligence network. The injuries and losses he took when he took out Dominus... he's done. But... my old protege does have others that could fill that role." he hummed. "Or... the solution that none of us have the heart to even consider. We send Earth through a rift and put it out of its misery. No Earth, no Empire. Klingons will be forced to surrender."
Director Victor Pier

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

"I shudder to think. I was born on Earth, but it hasn't been my home for some time," Michelle said with a sigh.

Victor Pier

Post by Victor Pier »

"As it was for me. I spent a lot of time in Sydney and New York and... all over once 'aliens' weren't such a big deal anymore." V'Pier said with a sly grin. "But I do think we need to encourage the Alliance to take some action or at worst... the Ryder clan, give them a cause and they typically jump it. Annoyed the bloody hell out of me when I was younger. Nicholas was always going off trying to be a do-gooder. That daft Pythus Sector for starters."
Director Victor Pier

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

"At this rate they won't have any choice in the matter. The Empire of Earth will come for them once they are done with us." She sighed, "I wish I had never accepted the nomination, and stayed retired."

Livvy Sandoval

Post by Livvy Sandoval »

Leo's Blues and Rock Club --

Olivia Marie Sandoval sat in the corner of Leo's with her brother sipping some Apple Jack. Johnathan Alexander Sandoval or Xander to most people except for him mom was a lean wiry you man. Aside from his more masculine jaw and browline he looked hust like his twin sister. They had the same piercing green Sandoval eyes, and thick auburn waves indicative of their Irish ancestry.

The soft cranial ridges were the same too. A series of almost imperceptible chevrons running up the forehead. A gift from some maternal grandmother that neither had met or even knew how distant the relation was.

"So, what do you think of all of this?" Xander asked setting his beer down and licking his lips.

Livvy shrugged, "I suppose there's a quest. Just like the old days. A fellowship if you will."

Xander frowned, "You really should put down the Tolkien."

Livvy sighed, "Why? It isn't hurting anything."

Xander shook his head and sighed. He downed his beer, refilled it from the nearby decanter, and took another long drink before speaking. "No, I suppose not," he agreed reluctantly.