Chapter 8

After an unknown phenomenon disables most forms of modern technology such as electricity, high-pressure steam-power, combustion, computers, electronics, guns, car and jet engines, and batteries, people quickly adapt, relying on swords and bows.

Based on the Emberverse Series by: S.M. Stirling
Abbygale Porter

Chapter 8

Post by Abbygale Porter »

July 21, 1998
10:00
124 days Post Change
Governor's Mansion Broadmoor Hotel
Colorado Springs, Provisional Republic of Colorado

A trio of individuals approached the main entrance to what was formerly an elegantly designed hotel nestled in the shadow of Cheyenne Mountain. Towering at 14,115 feet Pike's Peak loomed beyond that.

A pair of guards stood watch at the entrance. Their green Army uniforms were altered from their previous US Army iteration. Like every where in this post change world they were armed with melee weapon, but unlike so many places these spears were purpose built, not modified kitchen knives or garden sheers.

Their shilds were large rectangular Roman type scutum shields of plywood covered in bull hide in azure with a coat of arms painted on the face, big horn sheep next to a rearing lion over a columbine flower. The symbol of the governor's household troops.

The trio of stangers contrasted with the orderly clean appearance of the new state government complex. They were lead by a woman in her late to early forties. Her clothes were filthy from travel, but at one time were very expensive and tailored to her.

Her companions on the other hand were two impressively built men with tatoos down their arms. Their long hair pulled back into messy ponytails, which revealed earrings hanging from their ears. They were equally filthy faded blue jeans over thick black leather boots, and a leather vest over t-shirts. Patches on the back read, "Hells Angels, Nebraska."

"State your business," one of the guards demanded.

Abby smiled, "I am Senetor Porter. I'm here to speak to the governor."

The guard eyed her suspiciously. "Lots of people want to speak to the governor. Few actually get to."

"She'll want to speak to me," Abby said simply.

The guard glanced at his companion, with an edge of annoyance in his voice, "George get an officer before I spear this bitch."

The other guard hesitated clearly wanting to see his friend run his weapon into this new annoyance. Finally he signed and entered the hotel, and returned a few minutes later.

Lead by the guard, an aging man emerged. He was bald on top and the ring around the edge was mostly salt with a bit of pepper. He had a pair of silver stars on his shoulder, and rows of ribons on his chest.

He smiled in greeting to his guard's dismay, "Senator Porter. It's good to see you alive. We figured everyone in Washington was dead."

"Not quite General Franklin. I see you keep failing upwards."

Franklin laughed, "I do indeed. Quite the con-man I am. The governor is expecting you. I sent word ahead when I heard you were here, but your friends are going to have to stay here."

Abby glanced over and nodded and the two bikers peeled away an headed back down the driveway.

General Franklin lead Abby up the grand staircase and down a long hallway, and into a suite where a comely brunette stood behind a desk. A soldier with a knee length chain mail stood in front of her. He had conical helm with nose guard tucked under his muscular arms, and a twisted nose with it's still pink tip missing.

"I don't give a damn about resistance. They're monks for crying out loud! You were ordered to subdue Cañon City, and you come back with twenty less men and a bunch of excuses Colonel."

"Yes ma'am. They were far more organized than expected."

"Get out of my sight!" The brunette demanded. "And don't come back until you have the head of Abbott Beacham."

The colonel nodddd and left the office. Abby gave the soldier one last look before speaking, "So, you're the governor?"

"No, I'm well... well I'm Secretary of State, Defense, and the governor's aide all rolled into one. Ashley Walker."

"Abbygale Porter."

"Weren't you?"

"I was."

"I voted for you last time. You said a great deal I liked. Though none of that matters now I suppose."

Abby nodded, "A lot has changed."

Ashley nodded, "That is a certainty. What do you want? I can't imagine you making a very good soldier or slave for that matter."

"No, I don't suppose I would. But, I figured I could help the governor in some capacity."

"Everyone says that," Walker replied. "Few actually offer any kind of real assistance. But, you have a political mind. That much is certain, and you survived to this point so you obviously know how to use the things around you to survive. I will inform the governor that you are here."

Abby bowed her head respectfully, and Ashley left her alone in the room. Abby took a moment to circle the office. It was nothing more than a hotel suite with all the hotel items removed, and office furniture in it's place. There was an old steam radiator under the window behind the desk. Several paintings hung on the wall. Abby guaged that they weren't reproductions, but she wasn't an expert.

Victoria Underwood

Re: Chapter 8

Post by Victoria Underwood »

After a few minutes, the sound of high heels clicking on the polished wood floor and the jingle of bracelets announced the Governor's arrival.

"Abbygale Porter... you have a lot of fucking nerve." Victoria said as she looked at her. "Which is good, we need nerve. And how long has it been since you actually called me? Granted these past two months... but it feels like it's been since Bush was in the White House... one would think we weren't friends." the petite blonde said with a her hands on her hips. "Oh and Fred is no longer in the picture... he was screwing some chick half his age and got all over the news. I think they both got eaten by those cannibals because it's been over a month since my contacts have even seen him."
Tori Thorne aka Victoria Thorne-Underwood
Former Governor of New Georgia - Former Ajem'dasis

Ashley Walker

Post by Ashley Walker »

"You know her?" Ashley asked suspicion and annoyance in her tone.

"Of course she does," Abby said with a sadistic smile. "We go back a long ways."
HRH Princess Ashley
Countess of Harewood
House of Windsor

Victoria Underwood

"Abbygale and I used to run some of the same circles after college. Then we both spent a little time in Washington, I was trying to run for Senate." Victoria said as she cocked her head slightly. "I was looking for allies among other things." she glanced down at Abbygale's clothes. "Shocking that suit has survived this long. You wore that the last time we saw each other." she looked over at Ashley. "Miz Walker, do we still have that suite on the 5th floor? Or did one of the boys take it over? The one overlooking the mountains? Miss Porter is going to join us indefinitely... I'll need to personally debrief her, make sure she's not trying to do anything funny here." she walked closer to Abbygale. "Abbygale Porter is a woman that never does anything without a plan. Except now you're in my house... and my state." she leaned in closer and whispered. "You're going to have to prove your loyalty. Unlike last time."

Abbygale Porter

"I am a survivor, and I always back the winning horse, and you my friend are the winning horse. We're both Southern Women and transplanted to this state, and the Army brought us together. Let's not let the past divide us. This change is an opportunity. An opportunity to shape this world into the image we see fit. We can be presidents, queens, empresses, chiefs. Not only do we get to make history we get to write it!"

Victoria Underwood

"You always had a silver tongue Abby." Victoria said with a smile and crossed her arms. "So... you want whip this country into shape together? You do realize that I did all this heavy lifting before you came here." she gave Ashley a look. "What do you think Ashley? You've been a loyal ally since this all started. Still, we need more people of our similar headspace. And no one is more tenacious than Abbygale Porter."

Victoria walked over to an old roll top desk and rummaged around in a drawer. "Ah here it is." she picked up a lighter and a pen. "You join us, you're in for life, or until we both retire. Ashley is under a similar contract. We're going to be doing a lot of work and we're damn well going to get recognized for it and reap the rewards. Remember these? You gave them to me before you left. Told me to hold onto them. I did. Course I quit smoking years ago and the pen I can't find cartridges for it anymore."

Abbygale Porter

"Toss them, or keep them. A broken pen is about as useful as a hangnail these days, and tobacco isn't grown in Colorado. I might as well quit while I'm ahead. And Vic, you have people that would gladly kill me for a pat on the head. There ain't anywhere to go even if I wanted to, and well... My word has always been the one thing I don't compromise on. You have my word. I will stand at your side. Just one thing. I stand at your side and not as your lackey."

Victoria Underwood

"Good. Because I have always respected and liked you." Victoria looked her in the eyes. "I wouldn't have let you in if I wanted another lackey, I need someone just as stubborn and strong willed as I am. Ashley is a great right hand but I need someone on my left that well... knows the real me." she whispered. "It's not coincidence that the leadership is female and the grunts are male."

Victoria Underwood

"Good. Because I have always respected and liked you." Victoria looked her in the eyes. "I wouldn't have let you in if I wanted another lackey, I need someone just as stubborn and strong willed as I am. Ashley is a great right hand but I need someone on my left that well... knows the real me." she whispered. "It's not coincidence that the leadership is female and the grunts are male."

Abbygale Porter

"So, monks giving you trouble? It sounds like your rule is anything but universal." Abby teased.