Chapter 10:

After an unknown phenomenon disables most forms of modern technology such as electricity, high-pressure steam-power, combustion, computers, electronics, guns, car and jet engines, and batteries, people quickly adapt, relying on swords and bows.

Based on the Emberverse Series by: S.M. Stirling
Kat Donovan

Chapter 10:

Post by Kat Donovan »

The massive concrete wall rose skyward thirty feet, and capped by crenellations. The whole structure was built into a bend of Hardscrabble creek which added another ten to fifteen feet of rise to the walls. The corners were capped with guard towers.

The western wall housed the gate house with narrow arrow slits and murder holes. The the gate doors were made of heavy wood, and lined with sheet steel to protect it from burning. It was open, as was the portcullis, which meant they weren't expecting trouble.

"Holy..." Kat muttered without finishing her sentence.

"Yeah," Caterina agreed. "I wouldn't want to storm this. It's concrete so it's easier than stone to build, but it's still a hell of a lot of work.

"Father Sackett was right about a village growing up around it too. I bet there's fifteen-hundred living here."

A young woman flanked by six guards carrying pikes approached. Archers stared down from the crenellations. They might not be expecting trouble, but they were prepared for it. "State your intentions," the woman demanded.

Angel Ryder

Re: Chapter 10:

Post by Angel Ryder »

"Does the name Angelica Terese Ryder-Morris mean anything to you?" Angel said as she cocked her head slightly. "I'm here to see my daughter Trinity."
Vice Admiral Angelica "Angel" Ryder-Morris
CO 414th Engineering & Planetary Defense Fleet
Flagship: TAS Kitea
"Perky is as perky does."

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

"It doesn't," the guard captain replied unimpressed.

"It's okay Denise," a masculine voice said.

Ethan stood off to the side obviously having walked up on the newcomers from behind. He was wearing a wide brimmed straw cowboy and a pair of overalls without a shirt. He was sweat streaked, and covered in wheat chaff. His broad shoulders were a dark red brown from the sun and his massive hands wrapped in blood stained rags.

The guard nodded and saluted with a right fist to chest and she turned away with the other guards following. Ethan removed his hat and ran his fingers through his hair. Squinting through the sun at Angel Ethan acknowledged, "Trinity said you were still alive. I didn't believe it."
Major General Ethan Talon
CO III Corps of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

Angel got off her horse and threw her arms around Ethan and gave him a hug. "Oh it was hit and miss for a while there. That girl and I have always had a strong bond." she made a cutting motion by her navel."That cord is still attached sometimes. When all this happened, the only thing I wanted was to be with her. I was in plane when all this happened. Crashed near Mitchell Field, spent a while recovering from my injuries at my grandmother's house. No idea what happened to them. Last I heard they were visiting some old Navy buddies of grandpa Leo's, but I couldn't get any word from anyone, course it's not like I can just call or send an e-mail. God, how I miss the phone." she looked into Ethan's eyes. "David tells me you and Trinity are expecting?"

Ethan Talon

Post by Ethan Talon »

Ethan chuckled, "I miss refrigerators, tractors, electric lights. I miss a lot of things, but the phone isn't one of them. As far as Trinity goes," he turned her to the northwest with a slight pressure on her shoulder. "Why don't you ask her yourself."
Major General Ethan Talon
CO III Corps of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"MOM!" Trinity exclaimed as she practically flew off her horse and ran toward her mother.

"Trinity!" Angel squealed and ran toward her daughter and embraced her in a bear hug. "I am never letting you move out of state again without me." she said and buried her head in her shoulder. "By the way, brought a few hundred friends... hope you don't mind."

Arthur Talon

Post by Arthur Talon »

Ethan grinned wildly, "I don't mind. Assuming they don't mind working for their supper."

"Grandma!" A youthful voice exclaimed. The six-year-old was dressed just like his daddy down to the oversized cowboy hat that plopped over his ears. He ran to his grandmother, the hat falling to the ground which let his red hair gleam under the late summer sun. Wrapping his arms around her legs the boy stared up at Angel. "Mama said I wouldn't see you again."

Diana Talon

Post by Diana Talon »

"Of course Gramma Angel was gonna be back... we Ryder girls are tough!" Diana said with a big grin as she ran over to her

"You are absolutely right Diana... it takes a lot more to keep me down." Angel said with a smile as she kissed them both. "So have you been good for your mommy and daddy while all this was going on?"

"They have been doing a great job keeping up and being our little helpers." Trinity said with a laugh. "Like mother like daughter and well granddaughter." she glanced down at her belly. "Or grandaughters... not sure what we're having but... well we're pregnant."

Kat Donovan

Post by Kat Donovan »

"Hey Trin," Kat said. "Looks like you're doing well for yourself. Uh... this is Jeremiah Wallace, Caterina Georges, Dougal MacDonald and his his wife Aimee, and Dr. Monica Laforge." Kat introduced. "Pregnant again huh? Congratulations."

Ethan extended a hand and shook everyone's, "Art, Di go get cleaned up for dinner okay." The children looked mutinous, but complied with their father running inside the walls shouting at each other.

Trinity Talon

Post by Trinity Talon »

"Yeah not hard to do when there's not much else do to after dark." Trinity said with a slight giggle. "Kat I am still shocked beyond belief you managed to find my mom. In the whole country... you found one short, perky as hell half Hawaiian half Polish old lady."

"Who you calling old?" Angel said with a laugh. "I am a very spry and active 50 something and don't you forget it! Although I was hoping somewhere along the line we would have found your father, but I fear we'll never hear from him. Still don't know if my father is still alive either."

"I have a feeling he is... of course, no communication, only horse travel... he could be 1000 miles away and it may as well be the other side of the planet." Trinity said and glanced at Ethan. "Haven't heard anything from his mother either. Hear anything about grandma Julie?"

"Nope... can't say I'm upset about it. After how she treated my dad." Angel said and closed her eyes. "Or me and Olivia. Or Jack and Marcus. I haven't been able to get any word on any of them."

"Well, you're here now mom and we'll make sure all these people we've found are safe and have a home." Trinity said and held her mother's hand. "I was thinking of naming the new baby after Grandpa Nick... or Great-Grandma Tess."
Colonel Trinity Morris-Talon
XO Marine 82nd Voluntary Infantry Division