Chapter 12:

After an unknown phenomenon disables most forms of modern technology such as electricity, high-pressure steam-power, combustion, computers, electronics, guns, car and jet engines, and batteries, people quickly adapt, relying on swords and bows.

Based on the Emberverse Series by: S.M. Stirling
Nick Ryder
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 12:

Post by Nick Ryder »

"Yeah all of about a hundred yards..." Nick said with a smile

"GRANDPA!" Trinity squealed and threw her arms around him. "Oh my God I can't believe it!"

"And yes I brought gifts." Nick said as he hugged her. "So your mom and great-buscia are here too huh?"

"Yeah... they're just taking care of the kids. You should see Artie and Di" Trinity looked into his eyes. "Best Christmas gift ever. Always had a feeling you and Aunt Becca would make it through this. What about... Grandma Julie?"

"No clue... and I'm not really that upset by that. I think she's in Washington DC but who knows anymore. Not like I can just call her up. But enough about that... you got a castle now." Nick said with a big smile. "I always knew you two would do great things together."

"Because she's got great women at her back and a great man at her side." Angel said as she walked over, dressed in a velour and fur outfit that seemed to flow with each step. "So did you you actually get my morse code message?"

"Uhm... no... not really. I did get the paper ones." Nick said as he held up a paper scroll. "I could tell it was your handwriting from a mile away."

"Yay and damn... given that electricity didn't work, we sort of rigged up a crude battery and tapped out a few things on the old telegraph system, but I suppose that was for naught." Angel sighed. "I miss my real sewing machine, I've got calluses on calluses."

"And you're having the time of your life..." Nick said with a smile as he hugged her.

"Oh totally, it's been an amazing challenge... but I do hope you brought some good news." Angel said softly.

"I do have letters to you from Admiral Becca." Nick replied.
Nicholas "Nick" Ryder-Huntington
Husband, Father, Inventor, Maker, Defender
Former President, Founder Alpha Quadrant Alliance

Ethan Talon

Re: Chapter 12:

Post by Ethan Talon »

Rebecca Sandoval and Milo Talon had met at the Academy, and a one night stand, and two court martials later that somehow didn't result in a dishonorable discharge for the both of them Ethan had been born nine months later, and as a baby he was raised by his grandparents, Ellie and Orrin Talon. Ethan was never especially close to his mother, and his father had only been an occasional presence in his life.

"What about heliograph?" Ethan asked. "I know reflecting light off of mirrors still works. We can set up a network of heliograph stations and we could in theory cross vast distances in a few hours."
Major General Ethan Talon
CO III Corps of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet, that will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour, American Novelist