Reconciliation

The strike back has started... who will survive... what will change...
Jonathan Price

Re: Reconciliation

Post by Jonathan Price »

"Noella, we'll talk in a little while." Jon said as he nodded his head at her.

"Of course Mister President." Noella replied and gave a slight nod to Stormrage. "We'll work something out."

"So... what is on your mind Emperor?" Jon inquired as he sat back behind his desk and pulled out a small bottle from a bottom drawer and poured it into his tea cup. "Trying to kick this bloody annoying sinus blockage, hate this time of year. Herbal remedy Nick Ryder's mother gave me."
Jonathan "Jon" William Price
3rd President of Terra Alpha

Dalahn Stormrage

Post by Dalahn Stormrage »

He collapsed into a nearby chair his face suddenly gaining years. He looked tired. "I have just survived my fifth assassination attempt," Stormrage rage announced. He rolled up his sleeve to show a jagged pink and red line running down his left forearm from the elbow to the wrist. I am not a popular ruler, and my fears of a divided empire may soon be a reality. I know you harbor the children of Magus Stormtalon here on Terra Alpha. Don't worry I won't be sending anyone to kill them. In fact being raised here on Terra Alpha is probably a good thing. They'll have experiences they won't have in the Imperial Palace on Talaria." He rubbed his face with both his hands, "I'd like to name their guardians Stewards of the Empire to rule until the eldest comes of age in the event of my untimely and, at this rate likely death."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale
King of the Five Kingdoms,
Emporor of the Narlin Empire,
Protector of the Weak, and Defender of the Faith.

Jonathan Price

Post by Jonathan Price »

"So let me get this straight... if something were to happen to you... Colonel Trinity Talon and Kat Donovan would be effectively the heads of state of the Narlin Empire?" Jon looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "That is rather bold. Are your sure your people would accept them?"

Dalahn Stormrage

Stormrage shrugged. "I don't know," he said in a moment of pure honesty. "But those children are the last of our line. I cannot have more children thanks to the war. A war that also saw my son and daughter die. House Stormtalon was once a powerful house, and now it's reduced to an aging man incapable of creating an heir and two children, one of which we didn't know existed until he showed up on your planet. The wolves are at the door Mr. President. I can't name a Narlin Steward, because there's no guarantee that he or she would abdicate when the princess became of age. So, I am left with a problem, and this one seems to be the least undesirable."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale

Jonathan Price

Post by Jonathan Price »

"Indeed... I imagine that is one problem with royalty. I'm British and grew up with Queens and a King. Typically there's a line of succession but I imagine with everything that's been happening between the Imperium and now Dominus, makes all that far harder." Jon replied. "We will talk with Colonel Talon and Ms. Donovan. But we keep the circle who knows about this small. The Colonel is expecting children of her own soon, so I imagine her return to full active service will be later, if at all. I may need to make a Presidential order to keep her out of combat and active military operations, treat her as a potential head of state. If she's anything like her family, she'll resist it. They're a rather active bunch of danger junkies, although... so are my in laws." he chuckled lightly. "You have my word, we will do everything we can to assist the Narlin Empire, your people have been there for us and we shall be there for them." he rubbed his leg and winced. "I know full well what assassination attempts can make you feel like. Believe me, nothing would make me happier than to see this whole... insanity with Dominus, the Scions and the Ajem'dasis ended. We are so close to a lasting peace otherwise, oh sure there will always be conflicts and skirmishes and pirates and other unsavory types... but those we can handle. Our worlds won't end because of those threats. I could wake up tomorrow and not fall asleep to see the next day because Dominus blew our world into ash." he pulled out a case with makeup and pills. "I don't sleep very well, neither does my wife. If I look even remotely awake it's because of make up and combat prep pills. I wake up in a cold sweat or I have horrible nightmares. But I did not take this role lightly and I am not going to see what Nicholas and Isabella and so many others sacrificed so much to build fall down. So you have my solemn vow Emperor... anything happens, your planet and your people will be taken care of so they are not only free but your traditions remain."

Dalahn Stormrage

Stormrage sighed, "Perhaps you could become the children's official guardians. My announcement of an outsider Steward must be very public. It must be seen by every pair of eyes in the Empire. Otherwise conspiracy theories will erupt, and they likely will anyway. Power hungry nobles will take advantage of uncertainty and claim the throne for themselves. No, this announcement must be for all to bare witness or it will not work. For their safety the children must remain on Terra Alpha. The knowledge of statecraft will fall to their guardians. Perhaps they could go to Earth and learn how to rule from the British Monarch or the Nihonjin emperor."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale

Jonathan Price

Post by Jonathan Price »

"Given that my wife and I are unable to have children of our own... I would even offer to be a foster if need be, but Kat Donovan and Trinity seem to be fairly protective of them already. But publically they are under my watch as well." Jon said and tapped his chin. "You do realize that we have a number of former royals of various planets and people living on Terra Alpha."

Dalahn Stormrage

"It's hard to expose them to court intrigue from instruction, even from someone who has lived it. The game of thrones is not an easy one, and fraught with peril with very little reward I have found. Just a knife at your throat at three in the morning. I have a new understanding as to why Magus turned most of his power to Parliament. An act I intend to do as well, but for the duration of this conflict I will remain in command of the NDF. So, good news you won't have to deal with me much longer."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale

Jonathan Price

Post by Jonathan Price »

"Oi you don't have to tell me about all that... m'bloody house got blown to hell, m'wife lost our baby and pretty much ended any plans of having children naturally of our own. My leg gets weird when it's damp out and I wince when I see my father in law." Jon replied and chuckled with a painful expression on his face. "Mate, if people knew how utterly weird being a head of state was, no one would take this job if they had a sane brain cell in their heads... and yet, we don't do this because it's something we want, it's to serve our people. Even if there are days, in my darkest moments, that I wished that Bartyn had finished the job. Or that Jackson had taken Bella and I together and perhaps the two of us would have done what Nick Ryder and his wife had done and buggered off somewhere never to be bothered by all this shit. But we play the cards we are dealt and hope for a brighter day." he extended his hand to Stormrage. "I do want to say if I haven't been as... friendly as I should have been to you, that I apologize. For as long as we both draw breath... let's try to continue to work together."

Dalahn Stormrage

"Nor I. Truth be told, that is a bed of my own making. Killing Starbreeze seemed the best political course of action at the time, and truthfully I am still not convinced it wasn't, but it did put a strain on our relationship. A coup d'etat, even one with legitimate reasons, makes monsters out of us all, and I know I'm a monster. A power hungry mad man. It's why Magus named her his heir. I see that now. The fact that you are willing to work with me, and that I am certain you would have intervened in my rise to power if you had the legal authority speaks volumes of good in your people."

He stood looking like the entire weight of the world was on his shoulders. "No more murders I promise, and the re-education camps have been closed for some time now. I was a fool to think I was the right person for the job, but it's mine now. All I can hope for is to do what's best for Talaria and Terra Alpha until Magus' children can take over."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale