The New Normal

The rebuilding has begun but echoes in the darkness still persist...
Dalahn Stormrage

Re: The New Normal

Post by Dalahn Stormrage »

"You do not want it Admiral," Stormrage said with a smirk, "But you are the best person for the job."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale
King of the Five Kingdoms,
Emporor of the Narlin Empire,
Protector of the Weak, and Defender of the Faith.

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"Plus it lets the Romulans have a hand in the Fleet... more than Tomarah." Ang said and shrugged her shoulders. "Face facts sister, Alliance needs to look less like the Federation, no offense Madame President. We're more than a Terrans and Terran looking club."

"And in your reality the Romulans and the Federation merged." Angel replied.

"No... Earth left the Federation, which splintered... Earth joined the Romulan Empire, which became the Earth Romulan Coalition." Ang explained. "BUT what ended up happening, the Federation disallowed anything that was 'old UFP' to be used by us, so we were stuck with Romulan ships, which worked well enough, but obviously nowhere near as robust as a Federation or even the Alliances modifications to those. Our goals are the same. We want to see evolution and some innovation and share it among all of us allies."

"Which... I imagine I can do easier as member of the Terra Alpha Congress and Alliance Council." Angel nodded her head in agreement.

"Exactly. And after the Dominus War, we've got even more rebuilding than we did after the Fall of the Imperium. We've got entire planets that are no longer around. Dominus wasted a lot of resources, some we may never truly recover. And whatever Jack and Kinsey did to not only kill Dominus here but in nearly every linked reality there are pockets of very strange energy and unusable space. Cross reality transit may be more difficult, which is a good thing, but at the same time our own galaxy is rather... damaged. It may be a generation before we see it healed if ever. There are systems that are just trashed from what Dominus did."

"I HAVE seen those reports, we were charting some of those on Kitea before my maternity leave." Angel replied. "Trade is going to be impacted as are the finances of many worlds. We're looking at things getting a bit worse before they get better. Not even to mention the new diseases Dominus' goons released." she rolled her eyes. "But life without challenge is boring right?"
Vice Admiral Angelica "Angel" Ryder-Morris
CO 414th Engineering & Planetary Defense Fleet
Flagship: TAS Kitea
"Perky is as perky does."

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

"The New Federation is as your disposal. We may not be the dominant power in the galaxy, but we still have a lot of the minds of the old Federation and we have the same spirt of Archer, Kirk, and Picard."

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"I appreciate that. And I maybe this is good for all of us... if one day something even worse than all this happens and the sheer size of our governments is what causes us to collapse, perhaps being a bit smaller, a bit more nimble will allow us to weather problems more effectively and ask for help when we need it. Empires do tend to fall when they get too big and when it comes time for them to ask for assistance, there's no one in a position to help."

Dalahn Stormrage

Post by Dalahn Stormrage »

"This confederacy of governments that can stand alone, yet do so under one flag is a great step in that direction. Losing one doesn't topple the whole." Stormrage replied. "We can bend but not break. I think it wise for all of us in this room to not forget about self-defence even if you see Terra Alphans, Romulans, and Narlins having different roles in this Alliance."
Emperor Dalahn Stormrage
Lord of Tamerale
King of the Five Kingdoms,
Emporor of the Narlin Empire,
Protector of the Weak, and Defender of the Faith.

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"Exactly, like my father originally drafted when this whole Alliance was being formed, all members are still sovereign in their own rights, they can defend their worlds and do what they need to do, but if they need the back up, like a lawyer in dad's home town used to have as their slogan, 'one call, that's all.'. I do agree with my 'sister'... Alliance has to be more than just Terran and Terran-looking races supporting each other. We've all seen first hand what xenophobia and racism will do. The Catains are still taking a bit of time to figure out if they want to be more homogenized within the Alliance or attempt to be their own thing. Same with the Xindi Aquatics that recently joined, rather shocked they actually accepted membership. They didn't even join the UFP." she sighed and closed her eyes. "My father would be shocked. It's funny I know he's still around, just wish I could share this with him. Anyway. All this aside, we still did the impossible, we survived the end of all things. That's what Dominus was planning from what we've been able to gather. Most of the habitable worlds from the galactic core outward would have been just debris."

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

"That being said," the Cardassian ambassador announced. "I think there's still a place for friends of the Alliance that aren't a part of the Alliance."

Michelle shook her head. That was a typical Cardassian response if she'd ever heard one. Proud to the last breath. "As for the UFP," Michelle began, "We are prepared to make that commitment. Although there is a chance that I won't be here to see it through. Elections are next moth, and I am trailing in the polls. But, regardless of what happens we will apply. That has already passed the Council and it's just waiting my signature pending your response."

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"Then I am sure the Presidents Price will be happy to hear that. Not as happy about you trailing in the polls." Angel said and looked at her. "I really don't mean to pry but... what DO they say about you? Honestly I can only keep up on so much gossip on this planet, let alone others. And my yeoman keep getting promoted." she added with a chuckle. "That used to be their job for me, keep an ear to the ground with news and gossip and what 'real' people are saying about certain things. Last election dad trailed for about a month, until he kind of made it public that he and Alice were secretly helping out communities all over the planet and would continue to do that, no fanfare, no press, not even pictures other than those taken by some of the people they helped. And him making it known wasn't even something he planned, but in some interview they accused him of "not knowing what it's like on the ground" when he told the story of him and Alice trudging through literal shit in a sewer that wasn't processing waste. An engineer and a scientist, a president and his not even wife, just his girlfriend, hip deep in muck. Someone took a picture of them and shared it after that interview to prove it happened. So my point being, what don't people know about you? Are you simply Madame President or is there something that would make them connect to Michelle more than the title? Not that silly things like your love life are any of anyone's business, but... what's you opponent's like? It's no secret I was Section 31, hell Byron WAS a Section 31 outpost initially, but one thing a good counter intelligence operative would look at, what are the 'soft' targets. Same goes for elections... it's the 'soft' topics that win and lose elections. Nan Baccio lost her first run because people were under the impression she was quote unquote 'a bitch that would piss our enemies off'. Aaron DeMateo lost because he was quote unquote 'a yuppie douchebag', despite having more war medals during the Dominion War than they realized. Gregor Oksanawich lost because people called him Gregor Ox Sandwich."

Michelle Ortiz

Post by Michelle Ortiz »

Michelle sighed, "They are saying I was selected president, not elected. Which is sort of true. When we set up government with remanent Federation officials we didn't have a blueprint on how to do it. So the Council nominated three candidates and I got the most votes. But, I was legitimately elected when we set up elections two years later, but this time I haven't campaigned because of Dominus, and our loses at Trakus Prime, and Dorvien VIII to Ajem'dasis and Scions had done nothing but to help my opponent. Even when they called me a dictator my approval ratings weren't thus low."

Angel Ryder

Post by Angel Ryder »

"Well not that I'm one to really WANT to interfere in elections, but... I like you and I think you deserve a fair shot." Angel replied and shrugged her shoulders. "Although everyone lost worlds and everyone took a beating. There are plenty here on Terra Alpha that still believe in the Federation, I do too but I am very much invested in the Alliance." she gestured with her hand. "Kind of my inheritance in a way, what my father tried to get me prepared for."